Mold, what is it?
Mold is a type of fungi that grows in multicellular filaments present in our environment. Mold is commonly referred to as a problem not new to our homes and offices. Molds often tend to grow and infest our buildings with fungal growth in places like windows, crawl space, attics, basements, beneath flooring, between tiles, damp terraces, etc. Molds grow in moist, humid, and damp places. Molds have been a part of American homes as long as we know but in recent years we have learned about various health hazards it causes.
It appears to be fuzzy growth of black, green, mud colour.
Why do we need to remove mold?
If Mold has grown in large sums in your house it will cause many diseases. Molds have tiny spores that are airborne and can be inhaled by us causing breathing problems. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose, allergies, sinus, are the most common effects of mold. Though there are certain black molds that are highly toxic and releases mycotoxins and said to cause hemorrhage, Alzheimer’s, worsening of asthma, and lung issues.
It’s not good to look at it because it ruins the aesthetics of your house.
It can cause severe damage to your house in the long run so it’s suggested that you take initiative as soon as possible for a mold situation.
It is often asked why do we need mold removal now and why not before. The reason may be with growing industrialization our homes have become less energy-efficient and prone to mold and asbestos infestation.
Also, people are not having time or expertise on their hands to take notice and deal with such problems in busy schedules.
Professional mold remediation
Mold remediation is a process to remove mold infestation from your building.
Now mold contamination in a small area can be removed by yourself but it would not be advisable. Mold growth which is visible to you might not be the actual extent of the problem. Mold growths are often hidden in hard to reach places like inside walls, under carpeting, air conditioning ducts, above the ceiling, across plumbing walls, etc.
- Professional mold removal firms are experienced and well equipped to find mold growth anywhere, the range of the problem, the root cause of the problem, and plans work of action accordingly in a systematic organized manner which is not possible to do it yourself.
- Also certified firms are licensed to use certain chemicals that are approved by EPA which neither do we know about nor can get our hands-on.
- It’s a challenging, strenuous, and long process but a good reputed and reliable remediation firm can make it all easy and hassle-free for you.
- Professional mold removal companies will inspect every possible place and future possibilities of mild growth which you yourself might miss and it will continue to grow in hindsight.
- Professionals are very well equipped to handle the situation of spreading mold spores into the air and non-infected part of your homes which if inhaled can result in instant breathing problems to other long-lasting symptoms.
- Professional mold removal firms take measures for proper ventilation and containment to stop further spreading of spores and prevent air contamination.
- Mold spores are microscopic and cannot be seen by naked eyed professional firms who use advanced thermal imaging, hygrometers, air scrubbers, etc, and detail out the scope of work to be done.
- Mold growth often has a root cause like dampness, leakage, already rotten floors, or plumbing and it is crucial to address that cause which a professional firm is apt at. They will find the cause, find the solution to apply, and make sure no further chances are left for reoccurrence.
- Mold growth often reacts with paints that are commonly lead-based and can be poisonous.
- Mold infestation can be extremely harmful to babies, elders, heart and asthmatic patients and a professional mold removal firm will ensure not to let mold spores spread.
What to do when encountered with a mold infestation?
Mold infestation is dead giveaways. They are visible and make their presence known by a musty smell which is a major signal of hidden mold growth if not visible. Soft and wet floors and walls or peeling damp paint or plaster are also signs of mold growth. When accustomed to mold contamination you should set up an inspection for your house to determine how bad is the situation and what is a necessary action that needs to be taken to eradicate the problem.
If there are clear signs of large mold growth, you can directly go ahead and hire a mold remediation firm. Now, many firms do provide inspection services or suggest a third party for the job. You should take the best possible option for you but it is advisable to get an inspection if you have a large house with many possible areas of mold integration. An inspection will also help find out defects that lead to mold growth. It helps in tracking the problem.
Process of Remediation
After hiring a remediation firm, they show up at your place on an appointed day. They will be all decked up in protective gear, masks, and suits which are necessary measures and need not be panicked about.
A good firm keeps you updated on the process and steps they will be taking.
The first step is of spraying an EPA approved fungicide or biocide to kill the major of the mold growth population. It is left for a day to settle and work.
If any defect which is the root of growth of mold is found it is repaired either by a third party contractor or the hired firm. It would be safe to follow the advice given by the firm.
This process is done smoothly and with the least possible trouble to you, as the firm tries to keep your house as clean as possible in every way. The firm also keeps tabs on the ventilation of your house for extra safety measures.
The next process is of using an encapsulant to kill the remaining mold spores. Your firm will ensure if the encapsulant is needed beyond the affected area and then proceed accordingly.
After this process, your house will be clean and healthy.
It is recommended to have mold infestation inspection before buying new property along with other necessary safety checks.
Things to keep in mind before Mold Removal:
- Do not try to clean mold on your own because you never know there might be many other infested areas that are not in your notice. So it is better to get your property tested for mold and get it removed by a professional company that is licensed.
- Always get your inspector to do a post-remediation inspection and discuss the future possibility of mold growth and how to avoid it.
- It is suggested to keep the area clear and kids and pets away.